Last Updated on October 28, 2023 by Augustin Fernandes
Does Ola Operate in Goa
No, Ola does not operate in Goa.
App-based services like Ola and Uber have never operated in Goa so far because of the local taxi business monopoly. However, some of the alternatives that you can use to travel in Goa are GoaMiles App and Goa Taxi App.
GoaMiles App and Goa Taxi App are two different taxi services available in Goa.
GoaMiles is the first and only app-based taxi service in Goa, launched in August 2018 by the Goa Tourism Development Corporation (GTDC) in partnership with a private company called Frotamiles.
The app aims to provide a convenient, safe, and affordable transportation option for tourists and locals alike, while also addressing the issues of taxi overcharging and unregulated fares that have plagued Goa for a long time.
The app allows you to book a cab exactly like you would on the Ola or Uber app, and you can track your taxi in real-time as you wait for your driver to arrive. You can pay for your ride with cash or online, using a debit/credit card or by adding money into your GoaMiles balance . The categories available on the GoaMiles app include hatchbacks, sedans, and SUVs
GoaMiles fares starting from Rs 18 per km and going up to Rs 24 per km depending on the vehicle type. The app also has features such as airport transfers, city tours, women-only taxis, and emergency button for safety.
GoaMiles claims to have over 1 million downloads, 14,000 registered drivers, and 2.5 lakh trips per month.
The app has received positive feedback from many users who appreciate its ease of use, punctuality, professionalism, and transparency.
However, the app has also faced resistance and opposition from the local taxi operators and unions, who fear losing their business and livelihood to the app-based service
Goa Taxi App
The Goa Taxi App was launched on September 15, 2023 by the Government of Goa in collaboration with a private company called Goa Electronics Limited (GEL).
The app is part of the government’s initiative to improve the tourism infrastructure and enhance the mobility of the people in Goa.
The app connects users with licensed taxi drivers who are registered with the app and have installed digital meters and GPS devices in their taxis. The app also ensures that the taxi fares are regulated and transparent, eliminating any overcharging or bargaining issues.
To use Goa Taxi App, users need to download the app from their smartphone’s app store and create an account. Users can then enter their pick-up and drop-off locations in the app and choose from a variety of vehicle classes, such as hatchback, sedan, SUV, or SUV Classic.
The app will show the estimated fare and the availability of taxis nearby. Users can also see the taxi’s location and estimated time of arrival in real-time.
Users can pay for their rides using cash, card, wallet, or UPI. Users can also rate their drivers and provide feedback after each ride.
How to Travel in Goa?
There are several ways to travel in Goa, depending on your preferences and budget.
Here are some options:
- App based Taxis: Taxis are a popular mode of transportation in Goa. You can either book a taxi through an app-based service like GoaMiles or Goa Taxi App, or hail one from the street. Taxis are generally metered, but it’s always a good idea to negotiate the fare before you start your journey.
- Prepaid taxis: You can book a prepaid taxi from the airport, railway station, or bus stand. They have fixed rates and are available 24/7. However, they might be more expensive than other options.
- Local buses: You can take a local bus to reach different parts of Goa. They are cheap and frequent, but they might be crowded and slow. You can check the bus routes and timings on Goa Kadamba Transport Corporation website.
- Bike or car rentals: If you’re looking for a more adventurous way to explore Goa, renting a motorbike or scooter is a great option. You can also rent a car from various agencies in Goa. They charge per day and you need to have a valid driving license and ID proof.
- Auto rickshaws: You can hail an auto rickshaw from the road. They charge by meter and are cheaper than taxis, but they might not be available everywhere.
- Ferry Boats: You can take a ferry boat to cross the rivers or visit the islands in Goa. They are free for passengers and charge a nominal fee for vehicles. They operate from sunrise to sunset and are a scenic way to travel.
In summary, there are several ways to travel in Goa, depending on your preferences and budget. Whether you’re looking for an affordable option or an adventurous way to explore the state, there’s something for everyone in Goa.